Thursday, February 2, 2012

A tribute to Broadcast.

Trish Keenan

When I saw Broadcast pop up on my songkick gig mailing list today, I was a bit surprised, knowing that Trish Keenan has not been with us for over a year. New lineup? Why would they? Unfortunately, it wasn't the Broadcast band I was thinking of….this has been a listing for The Broadcast who happen to be a 'soul influenced dance rock band formed in Brooklyn'. Without going on a tangent, there are plenty of bands out there with clashing names, so it goes. Either way, it had got me thinking of January last year, when I first heard the news of Trish's passing with my friend Anthony (who'd been hoping to book Broadcast for a gig) and the melancholy of spinning Broadcast records at my indie club night.

Original Broadcast, is a band very close to my heart. Trish had possessed a voice like none other. The sound of her soft dreamy indie-pop vocals, complemented by tender synths and mellow melodies will win over fans of Stereolab, United States of America, and the likes. Keenan's dadaist and surrealist influence show clearly in her writing style, not to mention the psychedelic gumbo of obscure tracks she'd included on this mix circulating the internet immediately after her death.

Whilst sippin' in all of the above influences, it's easy to see how much impact Broadcast had played (unintentionally or intentionally?) on so many current bands, with a particular 60s psychedelic sound. The revival is there, Broadcast hadn't started it, but they surely tossed a piece of importance into the scene.

There are talks of a new Broadcast album in the works. James Carnell (bandmate and romantic partner of Keenan's) is hoping to compile new tracks featuring Trish's recordings. A lovely gesture for fans. 
Thus, comes a Trish Keenan tribute:

The Book Lovers: read the sign above the door, it's not for everyone


Before We Begin: here again at the end, before the beginning


Lunch Hour Pops: I wait on the stairs for my thoughts to align


Black Cat: awkwardness happening to someone you love


America's Boy: gun me down with yankee power



In Here The World Begins: and if a hunter comes again remember that it's just a game



pb-signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Share on Tumblr